Ilston Community Council has been approached by the Home-Start Cymru charity. Home-Start Cymru are looking for volunteers to help deliver their services to families. The words that follow are from Home-Start Cymru.
“Here at Home-Start Cymru, we have seen a significant spike in the number of families reaching out for support and information over the past years. We are looking for people who can spare even just an hour a week to help deliver our services to families. Our charity provides support, friendship, and practical help to parents with young children when they need it most.
Our volunteers work alongside families to give compassionate and confidential support tailored to each family. Our volunteers are trained and given support and guidance from our highly skilled and experienced local coordinators in their area. Becoming a Home-Start Cymru volunteer enables us to improve the lives of families by encouraging parents to develop the knowledge, skills, and resilience to enable their children to thrive.
What we’re looking for:
- A parent, grandparent, carer, someone with parenting experience or students who would like a career working with families
- Good communication skills, including an ability to listen and understand the need for support
- A sensitive and caring attitude towards others with a non-judgemental attitude
- Time and enthusiasm for Home-Start Cymru and support for our social media campaigns
- Commitment to visit or call a family member each week at a mutually agreed time
- A positive attitude to working with people of any gender, family status or sexual identity, or who are from any ethnic origin, culture or religion, or who may have a disability.
How can you support us?
You will find background information about the campaign in our toolkit with a downloadable poster, newsletter copy and social media posts and hints and tips for how you and your organisation can support the campaign.
We’d love for you to support the campaign by:
- Reading the toolkit (attached)
- Sharing one of our assets and messages on your social media channels
- Retweeting or sharing our social media posts
- Promote our volunteer opportunities to your staff members
#TogetherWeCan inspire people throughout Wales to commit their time to help ensure that every family in Wales has the support they need to give their children the best start in life.
Thank you for your support.”